The Regional District of Nanaimo (RDN) has updated its COVID-19 safety policies in response to the latest provincial health officer orders.
- Wearing a mask is required for all visitors five years and older in common areas (lobby, change rooms, spectator areas) in Ravensong Aquatic Centre. Masks are still required in common areas and while not participating in an activity in the area of play at Oceanside Place Arena;
- Proof of vaccination is required for all participants and spectators except those under 22 years of age participating in indoor recreation and sport programs for children and youth. Valid photo government picture identification for ages 19 and over is required alongside proof of vaccination;
- Some physical barriers at Oceanside Place Arena and Ravensong Aquatic Centre will remain in place.
The following changes came into effect Feb. 17 at RDN recreation facilities:
- Recreation programs including fitness and aquatics, ice rinks and tournaments return to full capacity. Pre-registration is still required for aquafit and swim lessons;
- Spectator areas return to full capacity;
- Indoor organized gatherings (receptions, parties) return to full capacity with no requirement to remain seated or maintain physical distance;
- Outdoor organized gatherings return to full capacity.
- Masks remain mandatory on all RDN Transit vehicles. Drivers have been advised to educate, not enforce the requirement;
- Transit operators working alone behind a full driver door or vinyl panel may wear a face covering out of personal choice.
- The public can continue to access RDN services both in person (mask required) and through alternate means. Options for payments include online through financial institutions, by mail with a cheque and telephone banking;
- Bylaw Enforcement complaints can be submitted online and building permit application information and input forms can be found on the RDN’s website;
- Zoning information for Electoral Areas (except Electoral Area B) can be found online.
Board and committee meetings
- The public may attend in-person (mask required) or watch via webstream all meetings of the RDN Board, Standing Committees and Select Committees. The meetings are also recorded for the public to watch online. Some Advisory Committees and Commissions continue to be webstreamed, while others are only in-person.
Masks at the RDN
- Visitors to all RDN facilities and administrative buildings are still required to wear a mask;
- Under the provincial health orders, it is recognized that some people have valid reasons for not being able to wear a mask. These individuals will not be required to wear a mask but will be required to physically distance.